within the 48 Contiguous United States
Coughing, wheezing, sneezing, stuffy nose, irritated eyes. It’s a typical saga for people who suffer with allergies. If you’re one of the lucky ones who have never experienced these symptoms, just imagine putting up with a bad sinus infection … all the time.
What stumps doctors and frustrates patients is that, often, it’s all but impossible to diagnose where the allergic reaction is coming from. It could be from certain foods or pet dander. But allergies also come from environmental elements such as pollen. What might not have been considered is that you’re allergic to your house.
Mold is a common trigger for yearlong allergies. However, it’s not always thought of, because this destructive fungus can go unseen.
According to WebMD.com, “We’re all exposed to mold spores. Mold is a fungus that breaks down plant or animal matter, like leaves, wood, dirt, and food. It’s present both indoors and out. The trouble comes with a mold allergy, when mold spores trigger reactions like allergic rhinitis or asthma. Molds can also produce volatile organic compounds (VOCs) — the musty odor that irritates eyes, nose, and throat.”
Mold can be visible as black splotches on walls or ceilings in the bathroom, or it can go completely unnoticed, hidden behind backsplashes in the kitchen. A leaky hot water heater, damp carpet where you overwatered a plant, poorly ventilated crawl spaces under your house and more are all prime candidates for mold growth.
What do you do? How do you get rid of this irritating and dangerous intruder? Simple: get rid of the excess moisture in your home. The best way to do that, says WebMD.com, is with a dehumidifier.
One suggestion on their site: “Use air conditioners and dehumidifiers inside your home. Change filters regularly. Use a dehumidifier to get rid of dampness in basements.”
It’s a simple and affordable way to possibly eliminate a major source of allergens and help you and your family breathe better. There are lots of portable dehumidifiers available, starting at under $200. Need help choosing? Contact us today!